Story of Selka – who we are?
Selka is a Finnish manufacturer of public space furniture that has been operating since 1985. In this time, Selka has furnished many objects familiar to Finns. You may have sat at a group of our tables on cruise ships in the Baltic Sea, or perhaps in one of the numerous cafés and restaurants all over Finland. We work closely with Finland’s leading furniture designers. Our product range includes furniture designed by Tapio Anttila, Timo Saarnio, and Markku Pakkanen, for example.
History of SELKA Oy
Our story began in the municipality of Pohja with a need for electronics molds made from aluminum. Eventually, we started making aluminum mold furniture under the name of Selkate ky. Urpo Kallonen, the founder, renamed the company Selka-line Oy. Inspired by the furniture manufacturing tradition in Lahti, he built a new factory nearby, in the municipality of Nastola. Durable and high-quality furniture solutions, such as ours, are especially suited to the needs of the shipping industry and restaurants. Our reputation spread far and wide, and Selka’s aluminum-molded furniture components began to be delivered abroad. During peak years, our exports accounted for more than 50 % of production.
The power quintet
The passionate visionaries of our company’s core team – Janne, Jari, Juha, Mika, and Matti – have decades of experience in manufacturing high-quality furniture and long careers at Selka. The goal of this power quintet is to strengthen the furniture market with Finnish know-how and to offer public space furniture where elegance, ecology, and sustainability play a significant role.
- Janne, who works as a foreman, knows Selka products and customers’ individual needs with almost 30 years of experience. In addition to management positions, Janne also has a long history in production, and his strength is in understanding the overall processes and fulfilling even the most demanding product wishes.
- Welder Jari, who has solved many customer problems, has worked at Selka for more than 30 years. Thanks to his iron skills and creativity, Selka has been able to meet even the most challenging needs. Jari’s skills have given birth to the unique tables of the Moscow Marriot as well as custom furniture for use on ships, which require not only elegance but also exceptional strength – no challenge will slow this man down!
- Thanks to the unique production method and information system built by Juha, the furniture manufactured in the factory located in Nastola can be delivered to the customer very quickly and always on time! With a state-of-the-art and compact production process, furniture orders are acknowledged immediately and then quickly put into production.
- Mika, who joined Selka in the early ’80s as a brisk young man, has progressed in his career to become a respected factory manager. He manages the factory effortlessly and navigates seamlessly between customers and employees. The working atmosphere in Selka is so good that most of the factory’s employees have been in the house for almost 30 years, even the “youngest” of the group for more than 14 years.
- Matti is the jack-of-all-trades, complementing the team’s efficiency with his varied professional skills. Matti, the furniture assembler and master of metalwork, is always where he is needed!
Selka Oy offers timeless and hard-wearing furniture solutions whose primary raw materials are steel, aluminum, and wood – all of which are recyclable. In our own production we primarily use recycled aluminum and limit the use of fresh aluminum to the casting process of structures that require it.
With the replacement of wearing parts, such as wooden table tops, wooden seats, and upholstery, the product becomes new again. Our replacement system is an excellent ecological and cost-effective solution for color and style changes required for a company’s brand renewal. In essence, you get a completely new look for public space furniture quickly, effortlessly, and cheaply with full-service tactics. Contact us and ask for more information!
Quick, high-quality deliveries and custom solutions
We offer a wide range of public space furniture for all needs. Selka products combine Finnish steelmaking traditions with modern manufacturing methods. Even more, custom furniture solutions are possible, thanks to high-quality surface materials.
In addition to the basic product range, Selka furniture can be customized exactly to fit customer needs. There are about 150 stock colors ready, in addition to which we can tint and shade the products completely according to your wishes.
Speed is our advantage – if necessary, we can deliver a restaurant’s furniture in less than two weeks!
“Tell us what you want, and we’ll find ways to make your wishes come true!”
Our past logos: